Pedlar’s Park is a relatively new public space dating from 1968. It was built on the site of the St Saviours Salamanca Street National School (1870). In 2006 substantial improvements were made and the park was expanded to include the nearby Salamanca open space (Salamanca is named after the 1812 battle of Salamanca in Spain won by the Duke of Wellington).
The park is names after the ‘Pedlar of Lambeth’ who, legend has it, donated 1 acre of land for the nearby St Mary’s Church -now the Museum of Garden History. The pedlar is depicted in a small stain glass window from the church.