Kennington green is an enclosed public green space on the Kennington Road. The plot of land that it occupies was formed when a new road was built between Westminster Bridge, which opened in 1750, and Kennington Common.
In 1780, Kennington Green (on Kennington Road) was a pond named after Sir Joseph Mawbey-a local land owner. The pond was connected by a ditch to nearby Vauxhall Creek. When the area was redeveloped with new housing, residents filled in the pond and fenced it in.
Kennington Green currently has four trees within the perimeter but is surrounded by more trees on the adjacent pavement. Although a public green space it is current closed for ‘health and safety reasons’.