Claylands Green is a triangular public green space bounded by Claylands Road, Trigon Road and the Ashmole Estate.
The original area was marshy and prone to flooding. John Fentiman the elder of Kennington, acquired the land then known as ‘Claylands’ and paid for its drainage. The triangular plot’s use as a public green space was confirmed in an ordinance survey map of 1850 but it was laid out probably around 1838 but possibly earlier.
The Green now forms a hub for the local community (human and wildlife) and has 12 trees of various maturity including:
3 [False] Acacias
4 Lime trees
1 Pink horse chestnut
1 Red oak
1 Liquid amber
To the North West of Claylands Green there is a complementary triangular shaped verge with a copse of 3 mature London plane trees. To the South there is a similar triangular verse with 2 [False] Acacia trees.
A local myth has it that the green was once used as a plague burial pit. There is no known evidence for this but like all such rumours it would take excavation to prove it one way or another.