Local History

Home About Us Our Projects Oval Farmers' Market Local History Briefing notes Events

Not a typical neighbourhood building. Imperial Court on Kennington Lane was built in 1836 for the Licensed Victuallers School.  It was designed by one Henry Rose and built for a mere £14,000.  The current building replaced Kennington House (and adjacent houses) which had been in use as a school since 1803.   


From 1921 to 1992, Imperial Court was the headquarters of the Navy, Army and Air Forces Institute (NAAFI).

Imperial Court (1836)

Imperial Court Kennington