The original Belgrave Hospital for Children was founded in 1866 in Pimlico. The new hospital on the Prima /Clapham Road site dates from 1899. The building was designed by Henry Percy Adams and Charles Holden using a quasi-cruciform plan (see 1900 British Medical Journal article on the opening). Like most hospitals, it developed in phases with most work being completed by 1926. Apart from the name ‘blazoned’ across the building there are subtle details that point to its institutional history (see window detail).
In 1948 the hospital was merged with Kings College Hospital. The Hospital closed after the Variety Club Children's Hospital opened in 1985. Historical documents such as the minute book and admissions register were retrieved in 1990 and are now in the Kings College archives.
The building was restored after some years of neglect and was converted to flats in 1994. However, part of the site is still used for a private health care practice.