St. Peter’s Church was built in 1860 and consecrated in 1864. The church is at the corner of of Kennington Lane and St Oswalds Place on the site of the former Vauxhall Gardens. It is across the road from St Anne’s Church, Vauxhall
An orphanage, clothes workshop, soup kitchen and art school were also built. The aim was to help local people suffering from extreme poverty. The Art school provided employment for draughtsmen, designers and artists for local firms. in recent years, through Vauxhall St. Peter’s Heritage Centre, the tradition of art and community has continued with festivals, exhibitions, concerts and community activities in the church.
The interior of the church is worth a close look being done in the early English style