St Annes (Roman Catholic) Church, with some 500 seats, was designed by Frederick Arthur Walters and opened in 1903 costing £12,000. The original mission had been established in 1886 at Vauxhall Walk before moving to Harleyford Road in 1892. In 1900, three houses adjoining 363 Kennington Lane were demolished to make way for the new church. The foundation stone was laid in November 1900, by Bishop (later Cardinal) Bourne. The tower was added in 1906–7 .