Oval Partnership Briefing Note
The Art Deco grade II listed Battersea Power Station was built as two coal fired power stations . Battersea A commenced operation in 1933 and Battersea B in 1957. This gave the building the distinctive four chimneys. At the time, it generated one fifth of London’s electricity but it ceased generating in 1983.
Battersea Power Station Community Group was formed in 1983 to provide a forum for the local community to air its views on the site development. In 2002 a development trust (Battersea Power Station Company) was set up to to help conserve the building and bring about the long awaited re-development.
In 2006, following a number of failed development bids, the 15.83 hectare site was acquired by REO (Real Estate Opportunities). Treasury Holdings were the majority shareholder in REO. Following restructuring assets and liabilities were transferred to BPSSV or one of its subsidiaries. Treasury Holdings own 41.2% of BPSSV.
A plan for the Battersea Power Station site has now been approved but this is dependent on finding funding and the development of the Northern Line Extension.
The proposals include using the power station to generate power once more but in a more environmentally sensitive way. The proposals include